Heavy Meddle 1956 Ford F100 Australia

Yes, folks, I'm back again with another F100 project! Can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you follow along if only for the laughs! Yes, that's right! We've got ourselves another truck to work on. It's a 1956 F100 and I can tell you it is gonna take a TON of work to get her up and running. So, as I used to say (and still do) stick around...things could get ugly!

Friday, September 1, 2023

Welding up the front cab hinge section.

Had to cut the old hinge out due to it being totally rusted and now am faced with welding the new piece in.

Bought this piece from Denis Carpenter and it seems pretty good, though the hinged area looks a little flimsy, the actual frame is made of reasonable steel.

Of course, like an ignoramus, I cut a tad too much steel off the new piece and now it's a couple of mm too short. The plan is to slide some copper plate behind the weld

and weld this new section on.

Tell you what, I am sh*****g bricks over this as the alignment has to be super spot on. I have measured the distance between the centre bolts from one hinge to the other on the side I haven't tampered with, so

I should just match that with the new piece and theoretically the hinge should mate up with the door when I fit it up.

Wish me luck!

Critical to get the alignment right. Not there yet!


This section needs to fit flush and the rocker has to be pulled inwards a fair bit to allow correct fitting.

See how much meat I need to fill. Like a dill, I cut too much off even after several measurements! 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Driver's door won't close. Significant alignment issues.

 This does not surprise me in the slightest.  I was expecting it when it came time to test fit the door after a very significant amount of n...