Heavy Meddle 1956 Ford F100 Australia

Yes, folks, I'm back again with another F100 project! Can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you follow along if only for the laughs! Yes, that's right! We've got ourselves another truck to work on. It's a 1956 F100 and I can tell you it is gonna take a TON of work to get her up and running. So, as I used to say (and still do) stick around...things could get ugly!

Friday, March 15, 2024

More information on Pro Comp heads for the Clevo

 So, I was enjoying a chat with a guy in the USA this morning about Procomp heads for the Cleveland. I was tending to portray them in a fairly negative light; something that was very hit and miss, but generally something to avoid. Not through any personal experience, mind you, just on hearing all the whispers about how crap those heads really are.

However, my friend was telling me he bought the 3v Procomp heads and mated them to a genuine CHI 3v manifold. He CNC'd  and ported the heads to flow at intake around 390cfm and around 290cfm exhaust. He is also running big stainless steel valves. My cams total lift is up around 764 with a 1.750 steel rocker kit from T&D Rocker. (Ouch! Pricey buggers!) These are very good numbers! 

Now, I always sucked at maths, but it doesn't take much adding up to discover these Procomp heads are not really that much cheaper than the real deal.

Get this:

225CC 3V CHI manifold $1330.00

CHI bare heads 3v $3333.00

add your T&D roller stud kit $3800

add other bits like pushrods, guide plates, head gasket, heads bolts and so forth and you are looking at an easy $10,000.

if we went Procomp heads, we are looking at a bit under $2,000 for bare 3v heads before significant porting costs which would probably bring them in line with the CHI heads anyway. So where would the benefit be? 

I just can't see any.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doing some bench seat chopping! Hold onto yer hats!

 Well, after over a year, I finally turned my attention to the Dodge bench seat that I purchased for the truck. I never really felt it was a...