Heavy Meddle 1956 Ford F100 Australia

Yes, folks, I'm back again with another F100 project! Can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you follow along if only for the laughs! It's a 1956 F100 and I can tell you it is gonna take a TON of work to get her up and running. Stick around...things could get ugly!

Monday, September 2, 2024

Inspecting the custom spring arrangement on the F100

The previous owner advised me that the spring arrangement on the truck was something he designed himself, and I have no reason to argue. It appears to be welded decently enough and correctly mounted. but I'd need to make some serious measurements of my own to ensure it was level, although a quick slide across with a tape measure indicates it's pretty closely square to everything.  The reason I had to investigate this arrangement was thanks to it not fitting under the new tub that I purchased from MAR-K. 

It won't be too long now before the whole thing is sent off to the paint shop, so I needed to be certain that everything fits where it's supposed to. And, sadly, that isn't the case. The spring shackles, both front and rear, tend to foul the tub, however, mostly on one side only.  I was successful in re aligning the tub after these photos were taken and managed to improve things somewhat. though the closeness of the panel to the shackle makes me think any flex in those springs (if any) might cause damage once we hit the road. Worst case scenario is I will have to notch those bits out to clear the shackles.




 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Well what a difference a month makes!

 Well, what a difference 4 weeks make. 4 weeks later...The builder came down and had a good long look at the project. He said his workspace ...