Heavy Meddle 1956 Ford F100 Australia

Yes, folks, I'm back again with another F100 project! Can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you follow along if only for the laughs! Yes, that's right! We've got ourselves another truck to work on. It's a 1956 F100 and I can tell you it is gonna take a TON of work to get her up and running. So, as I used to say (and still do) stick around...things could get ugly!

Saturday, August 13, 2022

Holley Terminator X or Sniper for my 351? I haven't the foggiest!

 Well, the good new is the bore is looking okay. Sadly, not the big heavy duty crank I was hoping for but the heads aren't off yet, so could be a few surprises. The bore is looking okay even though it show signs of being left out in the rain with nothing covering the hole in the manifold. Garry says it's been sitting for twelve years! With fingers crossed the cylinder walls will be okay and might only require some light resurfacing- if that is the correct terminology. 

Of course, this brings me to the 64000 dollar question: what am I a going to do with the fuel delivery system? This engine has no carbi, no distributor, no ignition, so is it a great candidate for EFI? I'm thinking that it probably is.  I had sort of been contemplating it all along in any case. . But having read quite a lot of the issues guys have been having with the Sniper pertaining to predominantly  RFI related issues, wondered whether the Terminator X was a better option for the 351 as it seems a lot of the interference issues involves the ECU being in close proximity to the Dizzy. And as we know the Ford has its Dizzy at the front of the engine. Where is the Sniper's ECU? inbuilt into the unit at the front. The Terminator X has a separate ECU.

So, you're thinking, well, this is a no-brainer, just buy the Terminator. And in a world where I can guess with 100 percent accuracy every weeks Lotto numbers, that would be fine, but I have a narrow budget and it is essentially zilch from here on in. I've already spent up big on a ton of things and I have money saved for a rainy day but not much beyond that, and really, we are talking another grand on top of everything. In the real world, that is not a lot more to ask when I am getting a nice truck built, but it doesn't stop there. I have to buy a distributor, and other stuff and suddenly we're talking another grand. Should I just buy the Sniper and hope the RFI issues don't become too much of a headache or should I expect that it will cause pain and cough up and buy the better unit now? Decisions decisions...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Driver's door won't close. Significant alignment issues.

 This does not surprise me in the slightest.  I was expecting it when it came time to test fit the door after a very significant amount of n...