Heavy Meddle 1956 Ford F100 Australia

Yes, folks, I'm back again with another F100 project! Can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you follow along if only for the laughs! Yes, that's right! We've got ourselves another truck to work on. It's a 1956 F100 and I can tell you it is gonna take a TON of work to get her up and running. So, as I used to say (and still do) stick around...things could get ugly!

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Removing side glass with care

I got stuck into the vent windows from the truck. Armed with my wife's favourite Wiltshire staysharp kitchen knife (what else could I use?) and some good fortune in avoiding stabbing myself to death while I tried to split the seal around the glass, I successfully managed to extract the glass from the frame. 

While the glass is totally shot, the frame itself looks quite good. Some fairly deep pitting in the metal and I am wondering whether just to have it painted the same colour as the truck or get it chrome plated. I think the latter. These side vent windows are just old steel items and I was kinda hoping they'd be stainless steel, but don't appear to be so. In any case, they are quite old and I am not sure they could be polished out any better.

Gonna have to hide this pic if the wife ever discovers where her favourite kitchen knife disappeared to. On the upside, it proved exceptionally good at getting into the rubber seal.


Once I went around the glass, I used this scraper and a hammer and tapped the sides free. 


Success! If needed, I can now take this sample to the glass shop for a couple of new pieces. 


Not sure which way to go with the frame. I worked at rubbing it back pretty well, but the truth is, it's an old piece of metal and showing its age. Wonder what it would be worth to chrome it? 


Have since learnt from the guys at ford-trucks.com/  that Ford for whatever reason didn't chrome their side windows for the 56 version. You could find chrome window frames in the 53 to 54 with their custom and deluxe cabs, but all 56 frames were painted black. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Driver's door won't close. Significant alignment issues.

 This does not surprise me in the slightest.  I was expecting it when it came time to test fit the door after a very significant amount of n...