Heavy Meddle 1956 Ford F100 Australia

Yes, folks, I'm back again with another F100 project! Can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you follow along if only for the laughs! Yes, that's right! We've got ourselves another truck to work on. It's a 1956 F100 and I can tell you it is gonna take a TON of work to get her up and running. So, as I used to say (and still do) stick around...things could get ugly!

Thursday, September 21, 2023

Tell me if I have gone barking mad!

 Folks, please tell me if I have gone barking mad, but I think my approach to the repair of the dashboard is relatively sensible, if not a little extreme and unorthodox. 

You see, I am basically sacrificing a left hand dash to repair my very scabbby right hand dash. The original dash that came out of the truck is the LHD unit. Here in this great land of snakes and spiders, we drive on the right side of the road.



When I bought this project it came with both LHD and RHD dashes. Sadly (or not) the LHD dash had been taken out and no further progress was made. It appears that at some stage a very tired old RHD dash had been sourced by the previous owner, but it is in very shoddy condition, with considerable rust issues and multiple patch jobs already made to it. 

I am planning on chopping the good section out of the LHD one and welding it into the RHD one. Not sure whether to try my hand at Mig welding it or get some help to Tig weld it, or maybe even fork out and buy a propane torch and silver solder it?


Paper thin for a good 8 inches. No way just to patch it. This whole piece has to be cut out. So, whatever I do, this is gonna need a patch job. My theory is it is easier to match to contours of the dash by cutting out a good existing dash.


See how crap looking this is? On a positive note, the holes do line up with the mounting area in the cab, but the patch job here is already rusting away itself. Full marks to previous owner for trying to save it. But I think I have a better idea.


There are also some issues with the fitment of the glove box lid. I have no idea why, but the RHD glove box lid is almost half an inch out at the right hand top. This could simply be because the RHD has has a different contour, but I am suspecting it is probably bent up. Either way, the whole section where the glove box lid sits has rusted out as well, so I might as well swap glove boxes over while I am at it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Driver's door won't close. Significant alignment issues.

 This does not surprise me in the slightest.  I was expecting it when it came time to test fit the door after a very significant amount of n...