Heavy Meddle 1956 Ford F100 Australia

Yes, folks, I'm back again with another F100 project! Can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you follow along if only for the laughs! Yes, that's right! We've got ourselves another truck to work on. It's a 1956 F100 and I can tell you it is gonna take a TON of work to get her up and running. So, as I used to say (and still do) stick around...things could get ugly!

Friday, October 6, 2023

RHD dash conversion taking shape

 Ok, so I might have gone barking mad. But, hopefully, some of that insanity is converting to pure genius. I say with tongue in cheek.

So far have been tackling the dash conversion ultra slowly. I could have farmed it off and had it done in a day. Instead, I'm taking my time and savouring the experience. At least I haven't destroyed it yet, which is the thing I most dreaded. But then, I haven't started welding it in yet. 

Managed to cut out a neat piece of plate for the corner where it had rusted. Mind you, this was my third attempt at getting it right as I kept cutting it too short and thus making a meal of it. At least I had some spare steel to work with. Haven't tacked it in yet as I ran out of time. Some magnets holding it in place. But looks good. Plan to get the whole thing welded up on the weekend and then cleaned up and primed. 

Seemed like a fairly radical decision, but the section I cut out was rusted almost right through the metal. No point leaving it like that. I guess I could have just bogged it over, but that's kinda cheating.


Doesn't look like a great fit here, but once I clamp it in place it should be good. Notice also, how well those side pieces are gonna line up!  
Gotta say, this is not looking too shabby! 


Pretty excited with the results so far, guys. RHD dash looking like a reality now. It has had an interesting life. Full of rust, whole lower section cut out. Whole back section cut out. Replaced glovebox frame. Piece of cake!  Notice, also the pillar cab corner replacement piece we made up. 

Finally this old basket case truck is beginning to take shape! 

Couple of days later...


Starting to fit together. Lightly tacking in place.


Pretty rough as guts but it's welded in there, and at least I KNOW it will fit. Trick is now I have to tidy up the welds probably with an 80 grit sander after angle grinding the tops of the weld off.  Then probably fix up a few of the gaps with more weld and go from there. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Driver's door won't close. Significant alignment issues.

 This does not surprise me in the slightest.  I was expecting it when it came time to test fit the door after a very significant amount of n...