Heavy Meddle 1956 Ford F100 Australia

Yes, folks, I'm back again with another F100 project! Can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you follow along if only for the laughs! Yes, that's right! We've got ourselves another truck to work on. It's a 1956 F100 and I can tell you it is gonna take a TON of work to get her up and running. So, as I used to say (and still do) stick around...things could get ugly!

Friday, December 22, 2023

Handbrake replacement...what have I got?

 

So, when the project turned up, I was left with quite a bit of stuff in a container that only now am I sifting through. One of these things is the handbrake. I mean, I knew it was in the pile, but up until now had been more or less ignoring it. I decided to make this an over-the-Christmas-break project. Six months ago I purchased a Wilwood style handbrake kit, and only now have realised that it is not the complete solution.  This kit suits the rear brakes up until the piece I think they call the equaliser. 

This piece appears to be somewhat important. From what I gather, the cable from the handbrake has a long threaded end that eliminates this clevis arrangement and screws directly into the block at the bottom. 
















This is an original style handbrake cable. I guess you could call it the upper cable. That is, the part that comes off the handbrake lever.




This piece here is what came with the project. The cable sure did look like an old vintage cable from what I can remember about the '54 cable, it seemed to be the right thing. However, it came with this peculiar looking bracket attached. It didn't take too much ferreting around to discover it wasn't off the '56. Bit of a giveaway with the disc / drum holes in the bracket. 


I was thinking it was a bit of a bitser, that is, a bit of this and that, but then I discovered when the new upper cable arrived today, this whole cable and its arrangement did not come from a 1956 F100. So, where did it come from? Well, the closest I came to it was an XC Falcon cable. Here's a picture of the underside of an XC Ford  for comparison's sake. 


So, cut a long winded post down, I have the aftermarket Wilwood style kit for the rear and a brand new original style 56 F100 cable from the handle. I connect the cable from the handle in the normal way and run it through to the block once I remove the clevis arrangement. Then I connect the rear cables up (or vice versa- I would probably start from the back and work forward) But the point it; this should work. However, my only concern is what allows the cable to spring back after you lock up the handbrake? Does it naturally just relax itself once you release the handbrake? 
I guess only one way to find out...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Driver's door won't close. Significant alignment issues.

 This does not surprise me in the slightest.  I was expecting it when it came time to test fit the door after a very significant amount of n...