Heavy Meddle 1956 Ford F100 Australia

Yes, folks, I'm back again with another F100 project! Can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you follow along if only for the laughs! Yes, that's right! We've got ourselves another truck to work on. It's a 1956 F100 and I can tell you it is gonna take a TON of work to get her up and running. So, as I used to say (and still do) stick around...things could get ugly!

Thursday, February 8, 2024

My 351 Cleveland beast getting ready to be souped up!

 


Can't wait for the mechanic to take this old motor away and rebuild it for me. 

I am considering lowering the engine and bringing it further toward the firewall, as it currently sits on Jag ifs mounts. 

Tuff mounts have a universal mount that looks ideal for the job. It's here: https://tuffmounts.com.au/product/engine-mounts/tuff-mounts-engine-mounts-universal-ford-v8/

My engineer has advised it looks suitable for the job, so it is just a case of me aligning the engine where I think it should sit and go from there, checking clearances etc. X Piggy said they are happy to weld them in for me.

Still tossing up what sort of head I could buy for the engine. Was thinking alloy, and would not be impartial to Procomp blank heads and get a head shop to add the extras. Not being a mechanic, and a total ignoramus to boot, engine components leave me a bit out in the woods.

I have already purchased a Holley Sniper EFI unit (including distributor coil and whatever else for the engine and a Bosch electric fuel pump, so that is a start. 

I was reading from my 351 engine builder's bible and noted that the open chamber 351 heads were not the best and the author suggested they be tossed to the bottom of the sea. 302 closed chamber heads were more desirable, but I have got to understand they only work with a mild cam system and are prone to detonation. I don't know what sort of a big deal that should prove to be as I always use 98 octane anyway. 

So this opens a whole big can of possibilities. 

1. Do I look for a decent CC 302 head and get it reconditioned?

2. Do I just go for an alloy head setup? IF so, do I lash out on a very expensive head or buy Procomp  blank head and put my own valves etc in it? What is the cost compared to buying ready to install heads? 

I am starting to believe ALL alloy heads come from China and it's then up to the companies to work their magic 11 secret herbs and spices on the head. 

I could be wrong. Dead Wrong.

CHI apparently do an amazing head, but we're talking in the realm of somewhere near five grand for a complete setup. And maybe even more!

Cams? What do I get? Thinking hydraulic roller cam. Why? I dunno. A couple of guys told me so. LOL!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Doing some bench seat chopping! Hold onto yer hats!

 Well, after over a year, I finally turned my attention to the Dodge bench seat that I purchased for the truck. I never really felt it was a...