Heavy Meddle 1956 Ford F100 Australia

Yes, folks, I'm back again with another F100 project! Can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you follow along if only for the laughs! Yes, that's right! We've got ourselves another truck to work on. It's a 1956 F100 and I can tell you it is gonna take a TON of work to get her up and running. So, as I used to say (and still do) stick around...things could get ugly!

Monday, June 27, 2022

Creating a living dead thing out of, um, dead things.

 

 Today's post is inspired by those brave  pioneers who take body parts of a dead thing and stick them on another dead thing in the hope of creating a lesser dead thing.  





I wouldn't be surprised to learn that there was not an original panel left on this truck. I think we should rename it Frankenstein as it borrows bits from other trucks. For instance, I have no idea what colour the cabin was, but I think it was light blue. The front fenders are fibreglass and from another project, The rear fenders are fibreglass and were apparently purchased new for this truck. The bed was rusted out and taken away a long time ago. Both doors appear to be from different trucks. Both 1956 trucks of course, the hood/ bonnet as as you can see, cream coloured. The original left hand drive dash is gone and in it's place is a right hand drive dash that is painted red.  Obviously from yet another truck. There are three sets of instrument clusters and three sets of pedal boxes. None of them appear original. Front and rear bars are new. Running boards are new. The seats are from a Pajero. Do you see what I mean? 


Speaking of bits. I have been hitting the old credit card pretty hard of late and have accumulated a number of items.

First thing I bought was an EZ wire Universal 20 Circuit Wiring Harness Kit. I chose the 20 wire as I have electric windows to hook up and down the track want to add air conditioning.



I opted for a new petrol tank that fits between the chassis rails rather than go for an original that sits behind the seat in the cabin for obvious reasons. I mean, I am sure it's safe there, but since this truck doesn't have a tank, why not start with something new?  The good news is the truck came with a blanking plate. The other thing is, you need various other pieces to make the tank work and am still debating as to whether I stick an aftermarket fuel gauge in there or play around and get a sender that has the same ohms rating as the original temp gauge.




I have yet to actually see what kinds of goodies came with the truck, which is kinda sad, as it was gonna be my pet project. However, a big dose of reality set in and even though I was successful with Dorothy back in the day, I am 7 years older (which isn't really that much) but we just don't have the space for trucks in our new place even though I have a nice garage space out the back. So, what I am saying is, I think there might be a nice new dash cluster in one of the boxes of goodies and if that is the case, would definitely be aiming at keeping all the gauges original. Apart from a fuel sender unit that I haven't bought for that reason, I went and bought some 



CODAN STRAIGHT LENGTH FUEL RESISTANT HOSE 38mm I.D. x 500m and five metre kit of AN6 -6AN Fitting Stainless Steel Nylon Braided Oil Fuel Hose Line.



I also bought this interesting fuel filler cap setup, 

Boat Deck Hose Filler Stainless steel with Key 'FUEL' 1-1/2"



I'm not posting all this stuff up to brag about what I have bought, I merely wanted to give you an idea of the kinds of things that I have purchased that are gonna work with the tank as I hope it might help others if they decide to go the same route. 

Anyway, back to work.  Also arriving in the next couple of days is a beautiful chrome collapsible steering column, wood grain wheel and various other associated parts. You can see why I have to go back to work. Gotta pay for all this stuff somehow! 






No comments:

Post a Comment

Driver's door won't close. Significant alignment issues.

 This does not surprise me in the slightest.  I was expecting it when it came time to test fit the door after a very significant amount of n...