Heavy Meddle 1956 Ford F100 Australia

Yes, folks, I'm back again with another F100 project! Can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you follow along if only for the laughs! Yes, that's right! We've got ourselves another truck to work on. It's a 1956 F100 and I can tell you it is gonna take a TON of work to get her up and running. So, as I used to say (and still do) stick around...things could get ugly!

Wednesday, August 31, 2022

A moment of madness! Considering a 6.1 Hemi for the F100!


I still don't know what to do with the 351. At one stage I was even looking at flogging it off in favour of this magnificent Hemi 6.1 engine that we found for sale on Facebook in the Marketplace section for less than six grand. 

Apparently running well and all, but I have to say a little bit of research into the Hemi had me backpedalling. There is a "known" issue with Lifter roller failure. Poor lifter design and lack of lubrication to the lifters is cited as the main issue. I wouldn't know as I don't own one, so cannot speak from experience, only what I have read on the internet. Seems fairly uncommon, but it's something to consider. 

The other thing, of course, is the wiring up of this engine. It seems immeasurably beyond my capabilities to play with, and where would I begin? I believe Holley make a Sniper kit to suit, but it's very expensive. 

So, I might give that one a miss, as tempting and intriguing as it might be. By God! Wouldn't that engine make the old truck sit up and bark! 

But I really only want the truck to be a reliable old cruiser that can sit on the highway speeds all day and not be fussed too much by anything. 

I've got a guy who has a 377 stroker more or less ready to go, but he's asking ten big ones and as nice as it sounds, it's just too much. 

I really wanted to keep it in the Ford Family and I have a soft spot for the 351 Cleveland. For me, it was the ultimate Ford engine. When I was a kid, I used to love watching the Bathurst races and especially loved watching those beautiful old Ford Falcons hammer around the track. My favourite was the XC Cobra. Two of which entered the 1978 race but unfortunately neither finished the race. A far cry from the year before when the Falcons won 1-2 on the track side by side. 

So I have pretty much made up my mind that it is gonna be a Cleveland. 

Stay tuned. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Driver's door won't close. Significant alignment issues.

 This does not surprise me in the slightest.  I was expecting it when it came time to test fit the door after a very significant amount of n...