Heavy Meddle 1956 Ford F100 Australia

Yes, folks, I'm back again with another F100 project! Can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you follow along if only for the laughs! Yes, that's right! We've got ourselves another truck to work on. It's a 1956 F100 and I can tell you it is gonna take a TON of work to get her up and running. So, as I used to say (and still do) stick around...things could get ugly!

Saturday, February 18, 2023

Checking out the chassis and considering the Jag XJ6 front end on the F100

 Okay, so while I am waiting for the mobile welding guy to come and check the project out, I thought I might as well just climb under the truck and see what is going on under there.

To my surprise I discovered a few interesting things.

The rear end looks like it has had a lot of work already done to it.

It has an XD (according to Gary, the previous owner) rear end. Disc brakes. 9". Looks pretty good. Shouldn't take much to finish it off. 

One thing that hit me was that this mount doesn't look like a stock 1956 F100 mount. At least as far as I know. The 1954 was quite different. I am thinking this one has been changed over at some point because the bolt holes don't line up. 


This is the current setup of the front Jag IFS. Um, no. That's gotta go. 


Here it is again just for shits and giggles. 

So, mister smarty pants, I hear you ask, what is wrong with that?

Well, basically, apart from the fact that it is Butt-ugly, it's not the best design. 


And this is why. The mounting brackets don't secure the front on either side of the rubber mount. 

How did we do it all those years ago? Well, Stuart did the work, but we arrived at this design which was engineer approved. 

This was how we setup old Dorothy back in the day.  A bracket both sides of the mount and a new piece of plate to support the bracket 


Nice little collection of pedal boxes. I've turfed two out and am mulling over the other two. Still got a long way to go before deciding what to do here. 

I pretty much finished the radiator mount piece. Came up pretty well. All nice shiny new high tensile bolts fitted up. 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Driver's door won't close. Significant alignment issues.

 This does not surprise me in the slightest.  I was expecting it when it came time to test fit the door after a very significant amount of n...