Heavy Meddle 1956 Ford F100 Australia

Yes, folks, I'm back again with another F100 project! Can't wait to get stuck in! Hope you follow along if only for the laughs! Yes, that's right! We've got ourselves another truck to work on. It's a 1956 F100 and I can tell you it is gonna take a TON of work to get her up and running. So, as I used to say (and still do) stick around...things could get ugly!

Tuesday, March 28, 2023

Attacking the roof with Metal Rescue Gel

A guy from a vehicle restoration group on Facebook put me onto this rust repair gel as he said he did his whole roof with the stuff and it came up like magic. Well, I toddled off to Repco down the street and forked out about thirty bucks for this Metal Rescue Rust Remover Gel. If it did what it says it's supposed to do, than I am all for it. Main thing the pack suggests is remove as much surface rust as you can before applying the gel. I had already had the roof soaking for several days with a thick blanket soaked in white vingear with reasonable results. However, there was still a hell of a lot of heavy rust on the roof that the vinegar just didn't touch. 

I dug out a cheap paintbrush and gave the roof a decent pasting of the stuff and, as the instructions tell you, cover the whole damned thing with cling wrap and leave for a while. Well, I am leaving it on for a couple of days. I plastered it last night and  will have a look at it tomorrow morning. I did check a small section of the roof but it doesn't appear to have done much, so I re-coated that section. 


Check back tomorrow for an update! 

I was messing with all the pedals Garry sent with the project and couldn't decide which one to use. I ended up tossing them all and went in search of my old favourite tried and tested VL Commodore brake pedal box.

This particular pedal box was the same one I used for Dorothy, my 54 way back in the day, and it was a simple and effective pedal, so I decided to ditch all the ones I had here and find a Commodore pedal. Fortunately, I was lucky enough to score one for a very reasonable price (most people are asking hundreds of dollars for pedal boxes, but I scored this one for $45. Gotta love a bargain when you find one. 


As you can see, simple and elegant in a light weight design. 

I lashed out and bought a Daytona Engine stand from Sydney Tools for $135, but I don't think it is anywhere as good as the MechPro one I bought six months before (and stupidly sold thinking I would never need one again) Two of the bolts wouldn't thread, so I had to duck down to the local engineering shop and buy some decent bolts and while I was at it, grab some bolts to mount the engine to the stand (5/8 grade 8 from memory) 




No comments:

Post a Comment

Driver's door won't close. Significant alignment issues.

 This does not surprise me in the slightest.  I was expecting it when it came time to test fit the door after a very significant amount of n...